Save Money with these 3 Easy Energy Efficiency HacksChad Madill - The Clean Boot - Thursday, 09 September 2019
When it comes to electricity, small acts can help you save big. Unfortunately, electricity is one utility most of us take for granted. There are a number of places around the world that lack basic electrical infrastructure. That is perhaps the biggest reason why electricity is usually expensive and scarce in most parts of the world. If you’re really looking forward to saving energy in your home, here are some easy hacks to save you money:
- Control Lighting
Do you tend to cover your windows with blinds and curtains and depend on overhead lights? How about letting your house fill with natural sunlight to help save big? Unless you require powerful, focused light to carry out a specific task, try not to turn on the lights during the day. Also, make sure to always turn garage lights off as keeping them on all night long can lead to a lot of electricity wastage. LEDs use less energy than incandescent bulbs or florescent lights. So, it’s highly recommended to make the switch as soon as possible to save money.
- Home Appliances
Did you know that connected appliances continue to draw power even when you’re not using them? You can save a lot of money if you get in the habit of unplugging unused devices.
Computers are said to be the biggest culprits when it comes to electricity usage in a home. Always turn off your computer and unplug it if not in use. Also, make sure to unplug T.V., sound systems and ACs when they’re not in use.
Keep in mind, if you’re looking forward to reducing energy usage in your home, you should consider buying new appliances. If you replace outdated appliances with smart energy-efficient ones, you’ll not only save big on your utility bills but also cut down greenhouse gas emissions.
Tips to Consider
- Always run full loads in either the laundry or the dishwasher to save electricity
- Instead of using your oven multiple times throughout the day or week, set aside a day to bake/cook as much as possible to eliminate wasted consumption
- Reduce your use of small appliance to save on electricity consumption
- Replace all home appliances with energy-efficient models. A lot of the time they come with options that let you select how much energy to use in a particular cycle
- HVAC Systems
Hot Water consumes a lot of electricity. Using less hot water on a routine basis can help you save a lot on your electricity bills. For instance,
- Unless clothes are too dirty, try to wash them with cold water.
- Take short showers instead of baths. Bathtubs require exorbitant amounts of water and can be very costly.
- Cold showers do not only save a lot of energy, they are good for your health.
- Make sure to insulate your heating devices as uninsulated water heaters can consume far more energy.
Proper ventilation system can help you keep the heat outside. To stay comfortable and save money, try to run your A.C. on 26C during summer. Setting your A.C. to this level will let you stay comfortable and avoid hefty electricity bills.
In conclusion, these small yet extremely effective tips can help you save a lot on your electricity bills. Conserving energy is a perfect way to saving money while maintaining our environment. By changing just a few of our habits, we can achieve energy efficiency without compromising on our comfort.
Talk to your friends and family about the importance of energy efficient living and discuss how you can achieve it together.